Send via SMS

« Home | China to Sell 11 Power Plants to Foreign Investors » | Future Solar Sample City in Dezhou, Shangdong » | Blended Drink for Breakfast: Strawberry Orange Juice » | News Ticker for China in the Olympics » | Another Case of An Emerging Chinese Civil Society » | The Future of Solar Power in China » | Hong Kong: Post Colonial Era » | CDM Potential in China » | Glutter's Thank You Note To Martin Lee » | Breakfast Smoothie: Blueburry, Vanila Flavored Yoghurt and Muesli » 

Wednesday, August 18, 2004 

Give Up 10% of Freedom To Gain The Remaining

Playboy magazine's interview with Google executives on whether to compromise with the Chinese government reminds me of a remark that I heard off-line from a Chinese blogger somewhile ago about the cost and benefit of internet: "We sacrifice 10% of freedom to gain the remaining 90% of freedom."

"PLAYBOY: What would you do if you had to choose between compromising search results and being unavailable to millions of Chinese?

BRIN: There are difficult questions, difficult challenges. Sometimes the "Don't be evil" policy leads to many discussions about what exactly is evil. One thing we know is that people can make better decisions with better information. Google is a useful tool in people's lives. There are extreme cases, we're told, when Google has saved people's lives."


Not-so-related: Blog censorship and expression in China.

Links to this post

Create a Link

{{{{Free Hao Wu}}}}

My Collection


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates